Pages

Thursday, January 17, 2008

I want my dad back

In November of 2004 my father passed away after a short illness. Even in death, my dad, a productive servant of his community, the consummate volunteer, sought to continue that spirit of giving and donated his body to science.

Specifically, my father donated his body to the Anatomical Gift Association of Illinois, located in Chicago. The AGAIL serves as a clearinghouse for a number of medical schools and research facilities, many in the Chicagoland area.

The way it works is like this: after the medical school is finished with a body, which is usually about two years according to the AGAIL, they have it cremated and return the "cremains" to the AGAIL who then in turn passes them back to the family.

Simple.

Well, not quite.

Beginning in the fall of 2006, while we were living in Paris, I first contacted Brintlinger's funeral home in Decatur. They handled his memorial service as well as arranging for transporting him to the AGAIL in Chicago. No, they told me, they had no information on my dad but gave me the contact information for the people in Chicago, the AGAIL. I called the AGAIL and was informed that it was usually about two years before a body was released from the medical school and since my dad was handed over to Rush Medical College in the spring of 2005, it would be another half dozen months or so before his remains would be returned.

OK. Fine. Spring of 2007 came and went along with the summer, and no word from either the school or AGAIL.

So beginning in the fall of 2007 I started calling AGAIL in hopes of eliciting information regarding the status of my dad's remains. (photo below: Dad's 1928 high school graduation, Bement, Illinois.)

For several months I called and called and called. Each time I called I received the same promise from the staff that they would pursue this issue and try to find out what had become of my dad. And each time they promised to contact me. Did they call? Not once. Each time I had to call back since no one ever made an effort to call me back.

The last straw came during the week of January 7.

Shortly after the New Year I contacted AGAIL and spoke to the Executive Director, Mr. Paul Dudek. He informed me that since the medical school was closed for the holiday he would get in touch with Dr. James Williams at Rush Medical College on January 7, when they reopened for the next term. Dr. Williams, I was informed, handled these matters. Mr. Dudek said he would then contact me and inform me of the status of my father.

January 7 came and went. So did January 8 and January 9, and still no word from Chicago.

Once again I had to call AGAIL. On Thursday, January 10 I spoke with Mr. Dudek who explained that he was indeed sorry, but that he still had not heard anything from the school. But, not to worry, he would "call the school at once and call me right back."

You guessed it.

I never heard from him again.

It is now January 17 and still no word about my dad. Even more appalling is that no one besides his family seems to care.

In fact, it would appear that Rush Medical School has forgotten a cardinal rule of medical training: teaching physicians and medical personnel to be caring and compassionate for their patients and families.

Where is the compassion here? Where is the caring medical staff here?

I want my dad back.

No comments: