Pages

Friday, December 08, 2006

Aux Lyonnais or not

Now it’s quite possible that you have eaten at Aux Lyonnais in Paris, one of the Ducasse properties, and you might have had a grand time. If so I’m happy for you believe me. But if you haven't, well I think, with all the wonderful restaurants in Paris “hungry” for business you can skip this place.

I went to their website early in the week – very slick and flashy – and found the link to click to make a reservation online, which I did. I waited several days and not hearing back from them I decided to call and confirm.

Me: “Bon jour, I’m calling to confirm my reservation for tomorrow night.” (Happy as a lark.)

Minion no. 1: “Sorry we are booked up for tomorrow night.” (Don't bother.)

Me: “Yes, well, OK but I made a reservation online several days ago.” (Harrumph.)

M.1: “Wait a minute.” (Hmmmmm.)

Minion no. 2: “Sorry but we are booked up.” (Sniffing the air at my English.)

Me: “But I made the reservation online.” (Hurt and embarrased for not speaking French.)

M2: “We don’t take reservations online.” (So there!)

Me: “So let me get this straight. You’re telling me that you don’t take online reservations although it says right on your website you you do.”(Shocked and appalled.)

M2: “Yes.” (Oui)

Me: “I don’t believe it.” (Really.)

M2: “Let me get the director.” (The Big Kahuna.)

Director: “I’m sorry but we are booked up and I never received your mail.” (I can just hear Steve Martin’s French accent doing: "I don’t care for you, you dirty American doggy.”)

Me: “Oh so you do take reservations online.”(Ah ha!)

D.: “Of course.” (“Sniff sniff.”)

Me: “Merci, bon journee.” (Lacking in sincerity.)

D.: Nothing. (Nothing.)

Now this may not sound like much but if you had heard the tone of the conversation – condescending and patronizing and not at all friendly – them not me -- you would agree with me that going somewhere else is the wiser choice.

Maybe the food is wonderful but if this were an indication of their service, I’d skip it. And apparently we will.

Wish you were here,

Steve

No comments: