Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Orange Galette

This was adapted from Maison Kayser, as in Eric Kayser, and is found on pages 30-31 in Dorie.

Susie made the cookie base dough a day ahead and put it in the fridge overnight. This was one seriously good cookie.

Susie's notes: "I made 11 3-inch bases using about half of the cookie dough. I did half a recipe of the jam, which was just enough and a full recipe of the meringue, which was also just enough for a nice swirl of meringue on top of each base. I used hazelnuts in the meringue and since I didn't have Grand Marnier in the house I just substituted a bit of orange extract.

"These tasted incredibly good but my cookie base didn't quite bake all the way through in the middle. I would lengthen the first baking step before the jam and meringue plus the second baking.

"Anyway I popped them back in the oven, on the bottom rack, for another 8-10 minutes and they were fine.

"One personal note: next time I would do small, bit-size versions!"


Personally, I loved these cookies -- the layers of flavors and the textures were just right for me.

No comments: