Pages

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Food markets in Paris, at least mine

Good morning. It rained much of last night apparently, but the sun has come out at last. Temps are still a bit chilly but I hope to get off to the market later today.

I mentioned in a previous post about the conveniences located in our tiny place, I must now admit that, well I don't usually shop in most of them.

Unless I need some last minute fruit or vegetables and go across the street to the small greengrocer, I buy my produce from the same Asian family at the open air market near Gare d'Austerlitz (Tuesdays and Fridays are my days to go), and located directly beneath the trestle of Metro line 5.

Nor do I shop at our "boucherie" across the street either. For meat and speciality produce I go down to "Chinatown" near Portre d'Ivry in the 13th arrondissement. Actually "Chinatown" is a bit of a misnomer since most of the shops and restaurants seem to be Vietnamese or southeast Asian in orientation if not in fact.

I shop at either the Tang Brothers for their great sauces and good produce, or the Paris Store, which has outstanding meat as well as good specialty produce. You'll find the meat is 50-75% cheaper than your corner butcher shop and yet, like all the produce in Paris, the meat all comes from pretty the same source, the enormous Rungis wholesale market just outside Paris. Both take credit cards.

No comments: