Pages

Thursday, January 29, 2009

Happy 99th Birthday Pop!

Hi Pop!

I just wanted to wish you a happy birthday and tell you -- as if you didn't know already -- that not a day goes by I don't think of you and thank you for giving me life. I don't mean in the biological sense, although frankly I do appreciate that part of it of course.

No, I mean in the larger sense of serving as an impeccable role model of fairness, honesty and gentleness.

And for coming to get me so many years ago.

I'll never forget you and Uncle Red driving up to God-forsaken Canby, Minnesota, in the winter in Red's Green Mercury. What a trip that must have been, all the way from Decatur! But you came for me, a little boy alone and cast adrift in a world of cold strangers.

So have a happy 99th birthday dad! Give my love to Mom -- oh, and tell Tunis his daughter loves him and thinks of him often. Say hi to Carma, Jack, Gene, Frank, Bill and all those so many others with whom you shared laughs and love over the years -- it must be some party. . . .

I love you dad,

Steve

No comments: