Pages

Saturday, July 15, 2017

Fruitland Cemetery

I typically publish photos from my cemetery wanderings in the United States on my North American Cemeteries blog but I was so taken with four fascinating gravestones from Fruitland Cemetery in Muskegon County that I wanted to share them with you here.

Several weeks ago I was looking for the grave of a former member of the 3rd Michigan Infantry -- which I did not find as it turned out -- but in my wandering stumbled across these folks.

Melissa Nyquist
And then there was Catherine Burns Porter, "gentle and loving, wise beyond her years" whose epitaph spoke not just of her but those she left behind.
Catherine Burns Porter


It may be that in all her phrases stirred 
The grinding water and rasping wind 
But it was she, and not the sea, we heard

And the Bellinger family. . .
Bellinger

Note Michael is listed as "Nubian", which typically describes someone from the Sudan or southern Egypt.

and why the "secret"?
Lastly, if you go keep an eye out for the lovely Connor stone with its striking frame of colorful grapevines.
Connor - a gorgeous stone, one that you should not miss and certainly not miss the reverse side. . . 


No comments: