Pages

Friday, February 22, 2008

Mini and the flat tire

I recently discovered an enormous bolt stuck in one of my tires. We had dropped the car off with a valet at a restaurant in Providence, and when the car was returned to us it was making a funny sound, as if it had a flat tire.

Well the next day I checked it out and sure enough discovered the foreign object stuck deep inside the driver's rear tire.

But no emergency donut for me!

When we had our first Mini, a 2002, a had a similar thing happen to me in Vermont -- and believe me finding tis size of a tire there was a real challenge. I thought while I'm buying a new one I might as well buy a "spare" and so I did.

So I had a brand-new tire with wheel -- not matching sad to say -- and swapped tires.

The Mini system for changing a tire is very easy to use -- although getting the jack handle to release was a bit of a challenge for me -- and in less than 15 minutes I was on my way to a nearby tire shop to have them repair the damaged tire.

Just about the same time the indicator light shaped like an engine block came on. Now this happened to me once before, last spring while we were traveling out west. I called Mini straightaway and was informed that this light was, ummm, rather vague in what it indicated. It could be the gas cap was not fully secured (yep) or it could be something else is wrong.

So I called again and sure enough was told the same thing.

"OK. Do I have to bring the car in or not?"

"Well, it should go away in a couple of hundred miles or so. It's not serious."

A couple of days later the light stopped coming on when I started the car up.

And then a couple of days after that it came back on and has stayed on.

What is the point of this thing?

No one seems to know.

I certainly don't.

No comments: