Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day

It's been a predominantly hot and sticky week here in Providence. We can of course be thankful for no snow, I admit, and are least grateful for a shift back to less humidity and cooler temps this weekend.

Anyway, little rain and mostly sun has greeted us pretty much every morning. (photo: I admit, I was taking pictures at a local cat show; and yes, pretty much what you'd expect -- lots of cats.)

Like the title says today is Sunday, Father's Day and we can't help but think about our missing dads as we go about today's household chores.

Of course not a day goes by that I don't think about my dad -- it's been months since Rush Medical College agreed grudgingly to the DNA testing and then everything fell off the radar. It's finally gotten to the point where our Vermont attorney has sent them another letter, this one quite threatening but what other choice do we have? I cannot help but wonder, particularly today, if these folks who are at the other end of this story, who probably have fathers they love dearly, if they would like to find themselves in our situation.

A rhetorical question I suppose and I am left to simply wonder at the rationalizations that must zip around the office cubicles and labs at a place like Rush Medical Center.

And of course we are thinking of Tunis, Susan's dad. There never was a harder working soul and the smiles he would get on his face listening to the stories of Uncle Jack or Uncle Don were always worth the price of admission to any family outing -- and here I'm particularly reminded of those on that bluff overlooking Lake Michigan.

But one father is still with us -- Joyce's husband Carl and it looks like the two of them will be joining us at Dick and Dorothy's house in Douglas later today! It'll be great to hear all the news from the North woods and we're bringing the sparkling wine . . .

Otherwise things have been pretty much the same around here: Susie continues to work on developing new desserts for Gracie's and Nell's Sweet Treats continue to sell briskly at the downtown Providence market on Saturdays. (Click here for more details.) I'm finding myself drawn deeper and deeper into the mysterious world of content management systems for the web and frankly am lovin' every minute of it.

So for the moment we are well in good spirits and doing OK. We hope you can say the same and if not that your winds will change for the better and soon.

Oh, and did I mention that we're going back to Paris in September? I didn't? Well that's another story. . .

No comments: