Pages

Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Word from Providence: Dad's DNA

OK, so it should the 'words" from Providence since we're well into the plural already.

and speaking of Providence, today, 15 November, is a celebration of sorts for Susie and I -- one year ago today we closed on our condo here in the former Prata family funeral home. I've neither seen nor heard any ghosts but the past is everywhere we look. But so is the future.

The good news is that Indian summer keeps hanging on, temps very mild with only infrequent hints of colder weather to come. Most of the leaves are down now as we enjoy the humid rain this mid-fall weekend. But that's not stopping us: tonight we drive to see Iris Dement at the Narrows theater in Fall River. I'll have more about that tomorrow.

Work is great -- Susie continues to keep everyone guessing as to what the next desserts will be at Gracie's and I find myself enjoying sitting in front of the computer (even if it is a Windows hog) and working the web. And I continue to learn new things every day -- and I find the other members of the web team incredibly bright and always eager to help me find my way through the intricacies of the internet. Oh, and no I don't think any of them have this blog address either.

It's funny how things have turned out -- so very good for the two of us even in these uncertain and uncomfortable times.

And of course, Barack Obama is President of the United States. Say, did you hear an enormous sigh of relief?

The best news is that the DNA test is done, or rather my part of it got shipped off via DHL to the lab yesterday. So now we wait -- what else is new, right? Frankly I don't care if it does vindicate the medical school's position that they had his body all along, we get our dad back. and in any case, it certainly doesn't validate their lack of concern, interest or compassion. But the important thing is we have a clearer sense of an "end in sight," we can see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.

For the moment all is well. Everyone is in good health and spirits, and Providence is still the place to come for food and Paris and Siena are still the places to go to get your karma centered, your head straight, your mind reworked and your spirit recharged.

Oh, and in case you think you know the complete story of Winnie the Pooh and Tigger think again:

No comments: