Pages

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Susie's first week back in Paris

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to send a bit of a report after being here 1 week already - my how time flies!

It's been sunny, albeit with a cool breeze, every day so far. I expect some clouds and rain in the next few days. It's been great for strolling and sitting in the Luxembourg gardens doing homework.

Les jardins are not yet planted with all the beautiful spring and summer flowers and plants, but daffodils, forsythia, flowering trees and trees starting to leaf out abound. I expect that over the next 2-3 weeks there will be a big change. You know what they say about April in Paris! Today as I was strolling I noticed some magnolia blossoms starting to pop and many rose bushes with leaves coming out. (image: Steve's view of Susie in Paris.)

I began my French language classes this past Monday. I had to take an on line test before arriving so I could be placed in the proper class. When I arrived I saw that the other students had the next book in the series that I have been using in my weekly French classes in Providence, plus they were already 2/3 of the way through that book. I had doubts about belonging in that class, and, after the first 1/2 of the class (which I actually understood OK), the teacher thought it best that I be "downgraded" to a less advanced level. That was peachy, believe you me! The next day I joined a different class and am enjoying it a lot. I amazes me how many people from different countries and backgrounds come here to study French. It's really cool. In my class currently there are 3 Brazilians, 2 Russians, 3 Dutch folk, 1 German, 1 Italian, 1 Venezuelan, plus 1 other American.

I feel like I'm settling in and getting into a flow. It's been different (and good) for me to fend for myself, since I've become so reliant on Steve who does all of the grocery shopping and cooking at home. I've been getting the kitchen here in tip-top shape and today did my first baking since I've been here -- another of the recipes from Dorie Greenspan's book. I've had a couple of inexpensive lunches out at places that Steve and I have been to before. It feels good to explore the "old haunts". As a matter of fact, I've pretty much spent my time between the 5th, 6th and 11th arrondissements, areas that I know quite well. I'll certainly start venturing farther afield as the days go by.

It's great to have a different focus for awhile after spending the last 15 months of my life essentially eating, dreaming and sleeping my work. I'm thrilled with my change in career absolutement, and it's so important to regroup every now and then. And what better place to do it than Paris!

Ciao for now,

Susan

No comments: