Pages

Sunday, March 06, 2016

Donald Wade Soper Junior turned 80

Right off let's say it -- I'm a jerk. I forgot my brother's birthday, his 80th birthday on February 22 and I'm not proud of that. But I am proud of him. He survived some terrible things in his life and came out the better person for it.

And as for me, well, if it hadn't been for him I wouldn't be typing these words right now. In one of the first postwar dysfunctional families my big brother was always there for me.

We're twelve years apart in age, rarely speak, and since we live a couple of thousand miles apart haven't seen each in years. We rarely  agree on anything -- except when it came to our dad. We never had to think twice when he was involved in our lives or us in his.

Happy birthday Big Brother and I hope it was a blowout.







No comments: