Pages

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Mini's first service

Well I had my first service for the Little Red Mini. Or rather the Mini had her first service. I'm not sure which is correct but after some 18,000 miles she was ready for a little serious mechanical attention.

Not that anything was wrong -- other than needing a new tire -- no, it was just that time that's all. Like you might go in to the family physical (do those still exist?) for your annual checkup. So Piccola Rossa was due for her "physical" as well.

Anyway we both went in for service this past Monday morning bright and early.

Located at what seemed to be the hub of the Inskip family of cars with the Bentley and Porsche showrooms to the rear, the Mercedes showroom across the street, and BMW next door, the nearly new Mini facility was spotless, and so quiet with only the soft humming of computers performing their diagnostics breaking the tranquility of the moment.

Enough zen talk.

I was met by Geoffroy Sigman who is the epitome of customer service. Genuinely happy to see me, Geoff was friendly, pleasant and eager to please: he wanted to insure that my short experience at the dealer was a enjoyable one. It was. The coffee and water was free, plenty of places to hang out and read or work on the computer (I did both).

But one thing I found curious. Now the folks in the parts and service departments were open and congenial, all smiles and friendliness. But the two young women working the sales never even acknowledged my existence. They never looked up from their magazine or computer to even say hi.

Now I had always come to believe that it was the salesperson who was the front line of every car dealership; their whole existence revolved around the customer. Yet not once did anyone in the showroom say "hello," "how are you?" Can I do anything for you?" "Are you looking?" nothing.

But, hey, I wasn't looking for a date or a new car -- I already had both thank you -- and there was free WiFi and I had my computer and a book so I was set for the next couple of hours.

Finally Geoff came and told me my car was ready -- everything checked out OK and I had a brand new tire. And off we went.

How did my experience go? I'm just sorry that I have to wait till the girl hits 30k before I go back. . .

No comments: