Pages

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Voting, tires, parfaits and my dad

Well I got out voted this last Tuesday. Never mind that my guy didn't make it -- rest assured he will be there when it counts. (Yep, that's my polling place below; the Parenti apartments.)

For the third time in less than a year we had to have a huge bolt removed from our left rear tire. Always the same tire if you can believe it. The first time was when we lived in Maine last summer, the second was just a couple of weeks ago when we left our care with a valet parking attendant in downtown Providence, and then the third time was just three days ago I noticed the head of the bolt (see photo) as I was walking up to the car. And the funny thing is the tire works just fine with this huge hunk of sharp metal stuck in it. Of course when you take it out. . .

But none of this is surprising since the roads in New England are in atrocious shape. We were just in Vermont a week or so ago and the roads, particularly in Rutland, were simply terrible. And downtown Providence isn't much better. In fact the quality of our highway infrastructure is falling almost as fast as the value of our dollar. We're fast heading toward third world status I should think. Another fine legacy of the Bush administration. . .

It's been a mild March so far -- all the storms that nailed the Midwest this last week came our way in the form of rain -- and plenty of that. Providence has a thing about storm drains -- they don't seem to have them. So naturally there's plenty of local flooding during the monsoons.

Susie continues to work on developing her parfaits (French for "perfect"). These two are "cookies 'n cream" and "white chocolate raspberry surprise" (the surprise is small chunks of brownie hidden inside)

The latest on my dad is that so far we haven't heard from the college about the DNA test. It's been a month now and they seem to be dragging their feet. Why is what we keep asking ourselves. Why? (You're right! That's my dad holding me on the slide. By the look on my face if it hadn't been for him I'd still be sitting up there.)


Wish were here,

Steve

No comments: