Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

Yet another flat tire

For the third time in less than a year we had to have a huge bolt removed from our left rear tire. Always the same tire if you can believe it. The first time was when we lived in Maine last summer, the second was just a couple of weeks ago when we left our care with a valet parking attendant in downtown Providence, and then the third time was just three days ago I noticed the head of the bolt (see photo) as I was walking up to the car. And the funny thing is the tire works just fine with this huge hunk of sharp metal stuck in it. Of course when you take it out. . .

But none of this is surprising since the roads in New England are in atrocious shape. We were just in Vermont a week or so ago and the roads, particularly in Rutland, were simply terrible. And downtown Providence isn't much better. In fact the quality of our highway infrastructure is falling almost as fast as the value of our dollar. We're fast heading toward third world status I should think. Another fine legacy of the Bush administration. . .

So we have owned our 2007 Mini now for ten months or so and have logged nearly 30k kilometers -- and it's getting close to its first service.

Aside from being a dirty little red car -- it drives like a Mini, which is to say like a dream.

Little things that will need addressing:

1. Clicking sound when it idles, particularly after the engine has warmed a bit.
2. When I got to start the car I will often have to reinsert the key to activate anything.
3. Brakes stick: that is to say, that when I'm stopped at a light, if I take my foot off the brake the car remains motionless for several seconds and then I can feel a discernible release of the brake.

Oh, and a new tire of course.

No comments: