Pages

Saturday, April 04, 2009

Steve's first day back in Paris

After I had a very short crash on the sofa we headed down the street to "Candide," a restaurant on Avenue Parmentier near Place Leon Blum. We had often walked by this place and wondered what the food was like. Even though I was still in a jet-lagged fog I needed food -- as did Susie -- we decided to give them a try. (photo: Susie in the Jardin du Luxembourg. OK, so this was actually the next day.)

A little something light, a glass of wine and I could feel like I was in Paris indeed.

It was a bit chilly out so we opted to sit inside.

Susie had the formule, consisting of soup of the day (artichoke) and salmon; for dessert she had the creme brulee. I opted for the soup as well but then had poireaux vinaigrette, warm leeks with a delicious (and typical French) salad dressing. We washed everything down with a crisp Sancerre.

The food was good, service was friendly and tolerant of our finicky French, and the prices reasonable.

After chatting and eating we strolled back home – my senses were now dulled not only by the journey but also by the wine and good food. Susie also speculated that I was coming down from a high state of anticipation. That sounded about right to me.

We climbed back up to the apartment and once again I crashed on the sofa. Susie crashed on the bed. Five hours later we roused ourselves, had a light dinner of leftover (artichoke) soup Susie had made a few nights earlier, with some baked rice, baguette from the local boulangerie and then called it a night.

Wish you were here,

Steve

No comments: